Whether you’re worried about getting hacked or just want to boost your online security, now’s a good time to change your Facebook password.
When was the last time you changed your Facebook password? Although there are pros and cons of changing your password too frequently, using the same password as when you created your account years ago is definitely not best practice.
If you want to change your Facebook password but don’t know how, this article will show you how to do it.
How to Change Your Facebook Password
Changing your Facebook password is a painless task that only takes a few minutes to complete. We’ll cover how to do it on both the desktop site and the mobile app.
How to Change Your Password on the Facebook Site
Changing your password on the Facebook desktop site is a pretty simple process. Just follow these steps:
- Click on your profile icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings & privacy > Settings from the drop-down menu that appears.
- On the Settings page, click on the Security and login tab in the left-hand menu.
- Under the Login section, click on the Edit button next to Change password.
- Enter your current password in the first field, followed by your new password in the second and third fields. Then click Save Changes.
How to Change Your Password in the Facebook App
If you’re using the Facebook app on your smartphone or tablet, you can change your password by following these steps:
- Tap on the icon with your profile picture to reveal the dropdown menu.
- Tap the gear icon at the top of the menu, or scroll down and tap on Settings & privacy > Settings.
- On the Settings page, tap on the Security and login tab.
- Under the Login section, tap on Change password.
- Enter your current password in the first field, followed by your new password in the second and third fields. Then tap Save Changes.
When Should You Change Your Facebook Password?
The jury is still out on how often you should change your password. Some experts say every 90 days, while others claim that changing it more frequently than that can actually do more harm than good. There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question—it depends on your data privacy habits.
If you are worried about your password being hacked or stolen, then changing it more frequently is probably a good idea. On the other hand, if you have a hard time remembering different passwords, then changing it less often may be a better solution.
Benefits of Changing Your Password Regularly
So why bother changing your password? Even if you’re using a strong password that’s difficult to crack, it’s still a good idea to change it regularly.
If a hacker somehow gets your password, they’ll only be able to access your account until you change your password. By changing your password regularly, you make it more difficult for hackers to gain access to your account.
If you’re using the same password for your Facebook account as you are for other accounts (such as your email or online banking), changing your password regularly helps to protect your personal information. If a hacker gains access to your Facebook account, they could then use that information to gain access to your other accounts.
Improve the Security of Your Facebook Account
Changing your Facebook password is a quick and easy process that only takes a few minutes to complete. Whether you’re doing it on the desktop site or mobile app, just follow the steps outlined in this article, and you’ll have a new password in no time. And don’t forget to take other steps to secure your account, such as enabling two-factor authentication.
Read the full article here