People have always admired and cherished the concept of memories. From verbal retellings to books and photos, we have come a long way.
Facebook also has a feature known as On This Day that takes you back to your good old memories. But is this feature just for viewing your memories on Facebook, or is there more to it?
We have curated a guide on effectively using the On This Day feature on Facebook.
What Is the On This Day Feature on Facebook?
If you are keen on saving and revisiting memories, the On This Day feature is just for you. It allows you to check out the posts you made on the same day years ago—some even call it a way to relive your past cringe. It includes everything from the media you uploaded to the posts you shared and the statuses you posted.
You can also find tagged posts, things your friends shared on your timeline, or how many years you have been friends with a user. The memories are initially shown to you privately, and you can later share and edit them.
How to Use the On This Day Feature
Users can access the On This Day feature on Facebook by the following method.
- Open Facebook.
- Select the Menu by tapping the three lines in the bottom right corner of the page.
- Scroll down until you see Memories. Open it to view your activity on the same date previously.
You can use the On This Day feature to better manage your Facebook profile. Let’s see how you can share, save and manage your memories.
1. Share Memories
The first thing that most users discover is the option to share their memories with others. You can post it on your timeline, send them in messages, and even tag specific people.
To share a memory from the On This Day feature:
- Open Memories from your Facebook menu. It will be available by tapping the three horizontal lines in the bottom right corner of your screen. Users who wish to access memories through the website can scroll through the menu on the left side of their Facebook homepage.
- Select the memory you wish to share.
- Tap the Share button for a new menu. You can post this memory on your Facebook Feed. You can also send it as a link on Messenger, which is separate and can be used without Facebook.
The memories from On This Day can also be shared with other apps like WhatsApp, Snapchat, and Messenger as a link.
2. Save and Delete Memories
Another great thing about the On This Day feature is the ability to save memories. This takes the memories to a separate Save section, intended for content you wish to view later.
You can save your On This Day posts with the following steps:
- Open the memory you wish to save.
- Tap the three dots to open a new menu.
- Select Save Post, and it will be stored in the Saved items section on Facebook.
To access your saved memories:
- From the Facebook homepage, tap the Menu icon represented by three horizontal lines at the bottom.
- Tap Saved.
- Scroll down until you see the saved memory. Tap to access it.
To save pictures on your phone, open the image and tap the three dots. Then tap Save Photo. Facebook does not offer the option to download a video. However, you can download your Facebook videos through several other methods. You can also take a screenshot to save the memory on your phone.
If you want to delete unwanted memories, select Delete from the menu. This removes the post permanently.
3. See What Your Friends Shared on Your Wall
With a thriving social circle, your friends might tag you in posts and share them on your profile. Remember a birthday or a special occasion on which your friends tagged you in their posts?
Check out the tagged content on Facebook by exploring the On This Day feature. You can look for the posts shared by friends on your wall by viewing and searching your Facebook Activity Log.
Customization Options for the On This Day Feature
If you want to change the way On This Day memories appear on your profile, customization options are also available. This is how you can customize your On This Day memories. This includes hiding people and dates from Facebook Memories.
- Open Memories from the Facebook Menu.
- Tap the Settings icon that looks like a gear in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Next, change your settings under the Memories Settings section.
1. Set the Time Duration of Memories
In this section, users get to pick the number of times they receive the On This Day notification.
Choose All Memories if you want to watch everything that has been shared over the past years. It includes your pictures, shared posts, tagged posts, and status updates.
You can also pick only the important memories. Tap Highlights if you wish to get notified about the special posts and events. For instance, your birthday or a special event with your friends.
Select None if you do not want to use the On This Day feature of Facebook. You will not be notified about your memories in that case.
2. Hide Memories
Facebook enables its users to hide memories from specific people. Under Hide Memories in the Memory Settings section, tap People and search for the names you do not wish to see memories from.
Also, if you do not like to recall a specific date, tap Dates > Mark Start and End dates > Tap Save. Facebook will stop showing you memories from those specific dates.
Stay in Touch With Your Past Using Facebook’s On This Day Feature
The On This Day feature of Facebook is a great way to stay in touch with your past and recall memories that have been a part of your life over the years.
Users can effectively use the feature to share and save media. You can customize Facebook’s On This Day feature and only access memories of choice. We hope you will be able to manage your On This Day memories in a much better and more convenient way.
Read the full article here