You can use an Android phone as a controller when you’re playing PC games. Here’s how to set it up.
Playing video games with an effective control system is always helpful in improving your experience. While the traditional controls for PC gaming are keyboard and mouse, some games are played better with a gamepad.
If you don’t have a controller, don’t worry. Here’s how you can turn your Android phone into a gamepad.
Why Use an Android Phone as a Gamepad
Using an Android phone as a video game controller for your desktop can improve your gaming experience. Here are a few reasons why it is beneficial:
- It provides touch control
- It allows you to use sensors like gyroscope and accelerometer for improved control
- You can choose between four pairing modes
- It offers you full customization of controls
- It will save you money
If you’re wondering what an accelerometer or gyroscope can do in games, you can find that in our guide on smartphone sensors.
How to Turn Your Android Phone Into a Gamepad
To connect your phone and your PC, you need to install two apps. You need PC Remote Receiver on your Windows computer and the companion app PC Remote on your Android phone. They’re free, or you can pay to remove ads and unlock higher quality streams and other features
Launch the applications after installation and make sure that both devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Now follow these steps on your phone:
- Click on the Connect option on the home screen.
- You can see your computer in the Local PC section if your desktop and mobile are on the same network.
- Tap on your PC name, and the two devices will connect.
If you’re having trouble connecting through Wi-Fi, there are a few other methods you can try to get it working.
Connect Using a USB Cable
- Launch the app on both your devices and plug your phone into the PC via a USB cable.
- Open the app on your phone and tap on Connect.
- Tap on the USB icon, and it will ask you to enable USB tethering.
- Enable USB tethering from the phone’s setting and the connection will be successful.
Connect Using Bluetooth
- Turn on Bluetooth on both your PC and your phone and open the apps on both devices.
- On the mobile app, tap the Connect button and choose Bluetooth mode.
- Now, you can see the list of available devices on the phone. Tap on the name of your desktop, and the phone will be ready to use as a gamepad.
Connect Using a QR Code
- Open the app on your computer and click on the Generate QR Code option on the home screen.
- Once the QR code is available on your screen, head to the mobile app and tap on the Connect option.
- In the pairing selection mode, tap on Connect to PC, and open the QR scanner on the app.
- Now scan the QR code and the phone and computer should connect.
Choose a Controller Layout
After successfully connecting your Android phone and the PC, you’re ready to game. Now visit the layouts section on the Android app and choose your desired layout by tapping on the name of the game you want to play. After selecting it, launch the game on your desktop.
If there’s no layout for the game you’re playing, then you can choose the Xbox360 controller layout instead, as it will work for most gaming titles. Furthermore, you can customize your controller by tapping on the gamepad icons on the top left in the layout menu.
On the top right of the layout menu, you can see a + button which you can use for creating a new portrait or landscape layout, or importing a custom layout from your phone’s storage.
Enhance Your Gaming Experience by Using an Android Phone as a Gamepad
With your Android phone working like a controller, you can enjoy the tilt control on racing or driving games like Forza Horizon 5. For using your phone as a gamepad, you only need to install the applications on both devices and pair them with your favorite method.
Read the full article here