Reddit is used by hundreds of millions of people across the world who are either creators or users. One of the ways it encourages them is via Reddit Coins.
These are little thank you awards that you can give to users whose posts or comments are helpful either to you or the Reddit community.
Reddit Coins are neither physical coins nor cryptocurrency tokens and are not in any way connected to the blockchain. In this article, you’ll find all you need to know about Reddit Coins, what they are, and how to use them.
What Are Reddit Coins?
Previously known as Creddits, Reddit Coins are virtual coins that you can gift to others in form of awards for exceptional posts or comments on Reddit. It’s another way of saying thanks, which is similar to Reddit Trophies.
Reddit Coins are tradable for different types of award medals including Silver, Gold, Platinum, Argentium, and Ternion. A Silver Award costs 100 coins, a Gold Award 500 coins, a Platinum Award 1,800 coins, an Argentium Award 20,000 coins, and 50,000 coins for a Ternion Award.
Awarding a coin is known as gilding. Not only is it a way of showing appreciation, but it also encourages creators and commenters to continue to contribute their quota towards growing the Reddit community.
You can buy Reddit Coins with fiat currency via PayPal or credit card. Prices start from $1.99 all the way to $199. However, Reddit Coins are not withdrawable at the moment. Reddit is working on adding new ways to spend coins in the future. In the meantime, you may only award them.
When you gild a Silver Award, the recipient’s post or comment gets a Silver icon which will be displayed for all to see. For a Gold Award, the recipient gets a week of Reddit Premium membership plus 100 coins. A Platinum Award gives the recipient one month of Premium membership and 700 coins for the month.
An Argentium Award gives the recipient 2,500 Reddit Coins and three months of r/lounge access plus ad-free browsing. A Ternion Award, on the other hand, gives 5,000 Reddit Coins, six months of r/lounge access, and ad-free browsing.
How to Get and Use Reddit Coins
There are three major ways of getting Reddit Coins. One, Reddit may give away coins on rare special occasions.
Two, other users may gift you a Gold or Platinum Award which will come with 100 or 700 coins, respectively. However, coins are non-transferrable across usernames.
Thirdly, you can always get Reddit Coins by buying them yourself. This is the fastest, easiest, and most guaranteed way of getting coins.
How to Buy Reddit Coins
Here’s how to buy Reddit Coins yourself:
- Visit the Reddit Coins page. On your first visit, you may be offered 450 bonus coins if you buy 1,800 coins for $5.99. If you like it, simply click on Purchase.
- Otherwise, close the offer, scroll down the page to your preferred price tier, and click on the blue price tag.
- Select your preferred payment method. Options include PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.
- Follow through the prompts and make your payment.
- Once you do, the corresponding amount of coins will be deposited in your Reddit account.
To check how many coins you have:
- Go to your Reddit account and click on your profile picture.
- Go down the menu options and click on Coins.
You can even just glance at it from the menu options without clicking. However, clicking through will show you more details.
How to Use Reddit Coins
So, you now have Reddit Coins in your account, what next? Remember that you can gift it as an Award. Here’s how to use your Reddit Coins by gilding:
- While on Reddit, locate or search for a helpful comment or post you really like and want to support.
- Underneath it, you’ll see several buttons including Vote, Reply, and more. Click on Give Award.
- From the Award options, click on Medals and make your selection. You have the option of making your donation anonymous.
- Click on Next and complete the transaction from your Coins balance.
- If your Coins balance is 0 (zero), you’ll be prompted to make a payment to complete the transaction.
Use Your Reddit Coins Effectively
Although you currently can’t trade or exchange Reddit Coins in real life, you can use them to encourage Redditors as well as support Reddit.
Facebook recently launched its Stars Program which allows users to gift stars to creators similar to Reddit Coins. However, unlike Reddit Coins, creators can actually cash out on Facebook Stars. Relax, Redditors, perhaps your time too will come.
Read the full article here