Subscribe
Home » I thought my drink was spiked when I couldn’t walk — but it was a nasty spider bite

I thought my drink was spiked when I couldn’t walk — but it was a nasty spider bite

by Staff
0 comment

A UK man just trying to enjoy a beer on a Sunday afternoon ended up in excruciating pain and covered in painful blisters — after dismissing the symptoms of a spider bite as a bad hangover.

Nathan Green, 50, recalls feeling a “tickle” on the back of his leg while he was having a drink at a pub with some friends in June but initially thought nothing of it.

Little did he know that tickle was actually a spider sinking its fangs into the back of his calf — despite the fact that he was wearing jeans and Chelsea boots.

“I felt something go up and tickle my leg a bit, so I brushed my leg, like you do,” Green explained to Kennedy News and Media. “I was drinking away quite merrily and when I got home, I started shaking and felt cold. I felt really rough and remember thinking, ‘This ain’t right.’”

WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES BELOW

The man recalled feeling unwell hours later still and knew something was wrong when he continued to fall sick the next day — initially thinking his drink had been spiked.

“I felt like I’d been run over. I couldn’t go to work,” he said. “I felt that bad. I thought that somebody had spiked me. I felt really, really ill.”

But 24 hours later, the area from his ankle to his knee was rock solid and had “completely swollen” to about “three times the size it should be,” causing Green’s wife to insist he go to the emergency room.

The father-of-three’s leg swelled up the next day.
Kennedy News and Media
His leg erupted in painful blisters.
His leg erupted in painful blisters.
Kennedy News and Media

“Then I noticed this blister on the back of my leg, and within an hour it had doubled in size,” he added. Green rushed to the emergency room, where a nurse took one look at his leg and deduced he’d been bitten by a false widow spider.

Doctors at the hospital said he was going into anaphylactic shock and immediately hooked him up to an antibiotic IV drip. More yellow blisters erupted on the back of Green’s leg before doctors were forced to pierce and drain them, which left him with a foot-long patch of raw, painful skin.

“You wouldn’t think a little spider could do so much damage — it’s unbelievable,” he said. admitting that the experience may make him more cautious around arachnoids.

Green's wife Dawn insisted he go to the emergency room.
Green’s wife Dawn insisted he go to the emergency room.
Kennedy News and Media
Doctors drained the blisters and gave the dad painkillers.
Doctors drained the blisters and gave the dad painkillers.
Kennedy News and Media

“Before [this happened], if my family saw a spider, I would pick it up with my hand, open the window and throw them outside — they never worried me at all,” he admitted.

Green said the bite was the “worst pain” he’d ever felt, and he was still struggling to move three weeks later.

He admitted he'll be a little more cautious around spiders now.
He admitted he’ll be a little more cautious around spiders now.
Kennedy News and Media
Green, 50, said it took weeks to recover.
Green, 50, said it took weeks to recover.
Kennedy News and Media

The dad said he’s thankful his wife made him go to the emergency room — otherwise, the consequences may have been much more severe.

“The hospital said If I’d left it later it would have caused more damage to my leg,” he said. “My advice to anyone who gets bitten is to go and get it checked out.”

Read the full article here

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Iman Hearts is one of the biggest lifestyle news and articles portals, we provide the latest news and articles about family, lifestyle, entertainment, and many more, follow us to get the latest news about what matters to you.

 

© 2022 Iman Hearts. All rights reserved. Sitemap